Monday, July 7, 2008

A Love Letter: Part I

The first few months after I moved to Athens, Georgia, I tried, unsuccessfully, to find people exactly like my friends in Utah and Texas. The restaurants just weren't the same. The street names were funny. I did not like Georgia. The transition wasn't overnight. Little by little I figured out the roads. I tried new foods. I met some wonderful people. I started to enjoy Georgia. Of course, it would never be home but, at least it was bearable.

Athens is a fantastic city. It has a way of helping the most stubborn person fall head over heels in love with the culture and idiosyncrasies of the city. I found these jazz murals tucked on a side road near my office. The man with his harmonica, a hand strumming a guitar, and the woman clutching the microphone seem to wash away my Monday blues each time I drive to work. It's little details like this that make this city come alive.
I never thought I'd say this ~ Athens Georgia, I love you!

9 comments:

Shankar said...

Excellent artwork. Sure beats graffiti every time. (I just wish I could figure out what is depicted in the last mural.)

Stephanie said...

And Athens Loves Charlotte!

Jared and Katy said...

idiosyncrasies?? woah...too big for my vocab.
p.s. I love Athens too (except the weather)

ME said...

I would love to visit Georgia, it seems as if there is so much history there. Glad you're enjoying it!

Saule Cogneur said...

R.E.M. came from Athens, I'm sure it has to be a great place.

Anonymous said...

i miss athens, charleston, and yes, even atlanta something awful. being reintroduced to chicago during one of its worst winters is not fun. i really, really miss being a southern gal. but chicago has it's pluses, and i'm starting to like it more. i'm still finding excuses to move back to athens, and that may happen sometime next year, but chicago ain't so bad!

Anonymous said...

Well, Athens may be nice, but it's no PARIS, TEXAS.
I mean, we have TWO Braum's restaurants and a Wall Marks Supercenter. And no culture for 100 miles....

Anna Winn and Family said...

I loved Georgia. Peachtree City was one of my favorite places I have ever lived. It is hot though - and they have a lot of bugs... it beats Houston though BIG TIME

Natalie said...

I love the murals, only in Athens...and that is exactly why I love this place :)