Monday, August 6, 2007

Best of the Best

Not many people can boast they met their best friend in first grade.

What?! You got something to say about my hair? Huh?! That's right...I didn't think so!


Not all friends decide to keep in touch through letters and phone calls when one moves away in fifth grade. There's nothing wrong with the Monkees...or dancing in the middle of the living room.

Not many friends have had Minnie Mouse ask if they were twins. Exclusive from the "Why did our parents let us leave looking like that!" file. And yes, that's a potato stamped shirt. When you finish with the potato letters, you not only have an uber cool 80's shirt but a painted potato ready for the extreme game of truth or dare.


Not all friends can sense "something is going on" even though they are states away in distance. From the glorious college dorm days.


Not all friends are like my bestest friend, Elke...I just got lucky!
I called Elke yesterday just to say hi. When I asked how she was doing, she responded, "Oh, just trying to get used to being 28!" I quickly thought, What is she talking about? Her birthday isn't until the first week of August. ...Oh shoot! I apologized and admitted I hadn't remembered. Since I am half a year older, I said, "They say the first thing to go is your memory..." She laughed. Not all friends are that forgiving. Elke, you are the best of the best.

Happy belated Birthday!

14 comments:

TUG said...

Those are some wicked sexy glasses!

Charlotta-love said...

The better to see you with my dear.

Monkeegirl said...

Wow, we are some HOT MAMAS!! Men must have been highly intimidated by us in our fanny packs and matching potato-stamped shirts!

LOL, you know, at least we looked like dorks together...and you can't beat that! One of the things I love best about our friendship is that we've always been able to be ourselves around each other...maybe sometimes too much so! ;-) The best part is that forgetting each others Birthdays is not something we get mad at each other for, instead, it's just yet another thing that we have in common with one another! BFF BABE!!!

Anonymous said...

hey, i went to see the monkees in D.C. with my best friend and my mom! you are in friendly company.

that's sweet.

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

Actually, Charlotte, the mind is the second thing to go. Sorry.

Charlotta-love said...

what's the first? ...

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

No one can remember...

thethinker said...

Those are some great pictures! I love the first ones.

Mrs. S. said...

It's cool that you've had a friend for that long..

Your glasses have shrunk over the years. I like the size they are now. Any smaller and you'd look a bit Mrs. Claus-esque.

Gretchen said...

Charlotta, thanks for popping in. I love this tribute to Elke. And...you're right, the mind is the first to go--not just memory, but the whole kitandkaboodle. :)

I'm glad to have "met" you; I like it that even tho I'm late 30-somethg and married with children, I can have blogging buddies who aren't. Gives good perspective.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I am available for hire as a fashion consultant. I might even be willing to give you a deal becasue, baby, wow.

Bone said...

Aww, what a sweet post. And you've not changed one bit! Well, maybe the hair. Just a tad :)

Me likey the glasses, too!

Anonymous said...

I remember you looking like that!! My favorite uncle's oldest child!

Shankar said...

Lovin' the pics: goofy clothes, goofy hair, goofy grins...how come you have a photo with Minnie?!